There are three categories of committees, for delegates with different levels of experience:
– Category A for first-time Model UN participants;
– Category B for those who have prior Model UN experience; and
– Category C, for those who have a high level of experience in Model UN.
These include the crisis committees and the UNSC, reserved for those who indicated interest in the registration form. However, we may not be able to filter all delegates who indicate interest in Category C committees there, due to limited vacancies.
Delegates will be assigned to the committees randomly. Allocations will be released on 8 November 2017. Information about the crisis committees will be released at the end of September.
Category A Committees
Disarmament and International Security Committee
(DISEC, General Assembly First Committee)
Committee Chairs: Valen Yo (vxlennn[a]gmail.com), Tan Yong Yi (h1410112[a]nushigh.edu.sg), Neo Xiu Yang (neoxiuyang[a]gmail.com)
- The question of safeguards and prevention against the utilisation of biological weaponry.
2. The question of the Central African Republic civil war.
Social, Humanitarian, and Cultural Committee
(SOCHUM, General Assembly Third Committee)
Committee Chairs: Amanda Lye Jue Yin (lye.jueyin.amanda[a]dhs.sg), Cheng Wan Jun (chengwanjunri2014[a]gmail.com), Tan Yi Juan Kimmie (kimmietan.zz[a]gmail.com)
- The question of prevention and reduction of trafficking in persons.
2. The question of provision of humanitarian aid in conflict zones.
Special Political and Decolonisation Committee
(SPECPOL, General Assembly Fourth Committee)
Committee Chairs: Ang Jun Sheng Jordan (ang.jun.sheng.jordan.2017[a]vjc.sg), Melanie Ngo Mei Zhen (melanie.nmz[a]gmail.com)
- The question of territorial disputes in the Arctic.
2. The question of the Yemeni Civil War.
Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
Committee Chairs: Juhi Agrawal (agrawal.juhi.2017[a]vjc.sg), Kester Low Le En (kesterlow1221[a]gmail.com), Wong Kok Rui (h1410129[a]nushigh.edu.sg)
- The question of education in developing countries.
2. The question of sustainable economic development in post-conflict nations.
Human Rights Council (HRC)
Committee Chairs: Noel Lim Xue Jing (noellimxj[a]gmail.com), Niharika Goyal (goyalniharika02[a]gmail.com)
- The question of the rights of internally displaced persons in Syria.
2. The question of the freedom of expression and assembly in Myanmar.
World Health Organisation (WHO)
Committee Chairs: Tan Yuan En (yuanen77[a]gmail.com), Desiree Chong Ci En (iamdesireec[a]gmail.com), Ang Kok Chun (evan_ang[a]outlook.com)
- The question of genetically modified food.
2. The question of transplant trafficking.
International Labour Organisation (ILO)
Committee Chairs: Zhao Yinglun Alan (alanzhaoseer[a]gmail.com), Wynsey Chen (wynsey.chen02[a]rafflesgirlssch.edu.sg)
- The question of the protection of the rights of migrant workers.
3. The question of child labour.
United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
Committee Chairs: Nyang Ying Zhi (nyangyingzhi[a]gmail.com), Goh Tong Tong (gohtongtong[a]hotmail.com)
- The question of drug trafficking in the Carribean.
2. The question of wildlife crime in Africa.
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Committee Chairs: Hew Zi Heng (hew_zi_heng[a]s2014.sst.edu.sg), Chua Fang Wei (chua.fangwei[a]dhs.sg), Nicole Lim Jia Yin (niclimjiayin[a]gmail.com)
- The question of industrial agriculture.
2. The question of protection of marine biodiversity.
Commission on the Status of Women (CSW)
Committee Chairs: Adam Seah Jun Hui (seah.junhui.adam[a]dhs.sg), Leona Toh (noriko4749[a]gmail.com)
- The question of state treatment of sexual assault victims.
2. The question of female access to education.
Category B Committees
Association of Southeast Asian Nations Plus Three (ASEAN+3)
Committee Chairs: Sean Woon (seanwoon1234[a]gmail.com), Bebin Joseph (josephbebin[a]gmail.com)
- The question of redefining ASEAN’s non-interventionist principle.
2. The question of formulating responses to extremist groups in ASEAN.
The European Commission (EC)
Committee Chairs: Moh Jin Yin (jinyin.moh01[a]rafflesgirlssch.edu.sg), Elliot Kok Kin Fai (elliotkkf[a]gmail.com), Jeremiah Tan (jeremiahtan123[a]gmail.com)
- The question of Brexit and its aftermath.
2. The question of terrorism and border security.
The Arab League (AL)
Committee Chairs: Gareth Lim Yefeng (garethlimyefeng[a]gmail.com), Ren Jiayi (7114150024[a]nygh.edu.sg)
- The question of restructuring the Arab League.
2. The question of youth unemployment in the Arab World.
The African Union (AU)
Committee Chairs: Aaditya Tibarewala (aaditya[a]tibarewala.com), Andrew Lau (andrewlaukk[a]gmail.com), Chin Jia Yi Ashley (ashleychinjy2909[a]gmail.com)
- The question of Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb.
2. The question of the Burundi unrest with a focus on Hutu/Tutsi relations.
The Union of South American Nations (USAN)
Committee Chairs: Najmus Sadat Nahian (nahian.000[a]gmail.com), Maisy Kim Tyan-Wei (kim.tyanwei.maisy[a]dhs.sg)
- The question of the Venezuelan crisis.
2. The question of preservation of the Amazon.
The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)
Committee Chairs: Su Huangyi (su.huangyi[a]dhs.sg), Tessa Ho Yue Zhen (tessahyz[a]gmail.com), Arya Arun (aryaarun31[a]gmail.com)
- The question of conflict resolution and codes of conduct for territorial disputes.
2. The question of the cooperation in Energy Security.
The United States Senate
Committee Chairs: Alexis Loh (alexisloh0[a]gmail.com), Tan Zhi Hua Joshua (joshuatan5201[a]gmail.com)
- The question of sustainable development of the energy industry.
2. The question of police accountability in the States.
Category C Committee: Non-Crisis
The United Nations Security Council (UNSC)
Committee Chairs: Nam Seongwook (nam.seongwook.2017[a]vjc.sg), Pranad Gandhi (gandh75568[a]gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg)
- The question of the extent and viability of the policy of non-interference in
domestic jurisdiction with special emphasis on the UN Charter.
2. The threat to international security due to nuclear proliferation.
Do refer to the main page for more information about the 2017 edition of the UNASMUN Preparatory Conference.